Re: [RFC 0/4] Using a generic bus_type for virtio

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 14:42 +0200, arnd@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> This is a subject that came up in the virtio BOF session
> at OLS. I decided to go forward and implement something
> that I like, based on the latest virtio proposal at the
> time, which was draft III.
>
> It's not a drop-in replacement, because it's missing a
> host implementation. I first started my own, which is
> not done yet, but wanted to do one for lguest and one
> for emulated PCI next. It's also entirely untested.

Hi Arnd,

	I think it will come down to how neat PCI<->virtio is.  Can we push
further towards PCI without screwing non-PCI?  eg. can we use
pci_device_id?  struct pci_driver?  (Might be pushing it, but should
probably be considered: it'd be neat if some platforms could #define
virtio_driver_register pci_driver_register).

	Standardizing how to pack the info for each device into the config
space would be especially useful.  Our drivers are going to get more
featureful, and we're going to need a versioning/compatibility scheme
too.

Basically, I'd like to see someone start with work from the PCI side,
then make sure non-PCI isn't overly burdened.

Cheers,
Rusty.