Re: RFC: multiple address spaces for one process

Peter Chubb wrote:
In a hosted VMM like LinuxOnLinux or UML, context switch time can be a
major problem (as mmap when repeated for each guest page frame takes a
long time).  One solution is to allow the host kernel to keep a cache of
address space contexts, and switch between them in a single
operation.

Other VMMs which have a large usermode component, like lguest and kvm, do maintain two address spaces mapping the same set of pages. But unlike UML (and I guess LoL), the guest mappings are not represented as VMAs, but just as a raw processor pagetable. They need some special switcher code to go into that state, so it doesn't look like this would be terribly useful for them.

Am I right in presuming that this is really only useful for VMMs which want to use mmap/mprotect/munmap for the virtual MMU implementation?

It might be interesting if the two cases could be unified in some way, so that the VMMs could use a common usermode mechanism to achieve the same end, which is what Carsten was proposing. But its not obvious to me how much common mechanism can be pulled out, since its a pretty deeply architecture-specific operation.