[patch 00/21] Xen-paravirt: Xen guest implementation for paravirt_ops interface

Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>

>> This patch series implements the Linux Xen guest in terms of the
>> paravirt-ops interface.  The features in implemented this patch series
>>

> I am thoroughly confused. Maybe that is because I have not been following
> this issue closely but it seems that you are using the paravirt interface
> as an API for Xen code in the guest? I thought the idea of paravirt was to
> have an API that is generic? This patchset seems to be mostly realizing
> Xen specific functionality? How does the code here interact with KVM,
> VMWare and other hypervisors?

For the most part, it doesn't disturb VMware or KVM.  Xen does need some
additional functionality in paravirt-ops because they took a different
design choice - direct page tables instead of shadow page tables.  This
is where all the requirements for the new Xen paravirt-ops hooks come from.

Zach