What do we need to do to hit 2.6.19?

* Andi Kleen (ak at suse.de) wrote:
> On Friday 04 August 2006 20:34, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> > Chris said, and I agree, that we should try to get the basic PV-ops
> > infrastructure stuff into 2.6.19.  To me this means being able to run a
> > kernel native with CONFIG_PARAVIRT, and see little or no functional or
> > performance degradation.  What do we need to do to get there:
> >
> >     * fix the slowdown bug, which seems to be something to do with
> >       rdmsr/wrmsr on SMP systems
> >     * work out how to handle all the low-level system interfaces, like
> >       ACPI, PnP BIOS, APM
> >     * what else?
>
> You're already too late for most of this. The merge window will
> open in the forseeable future and you don't have had significant
> -mm* or x86_64-* testing yet and in general stuff is still
> very fresh.
>
> Maybe we can get some basic "obvious" stuff like a few
> macro substitutions in (if you submit them properly), but probably not
> the full support.

I don't agree.  We've got the first bit of obvious stuff posted and
queued up.  There's a bit more, then the final piece is #ifdef that means
none of the new code will even get compiled for non CONFIG_PARAVIRT users
(mark it as experimental, default = N, etc).  Then we have a safe place
to push things up w/out disturbing others.  IOW, at that point it's like
a new device driver, or fs, or arch....those can merge quite late.
Not saying it's not agressive, but I don't think it's obviously too
late.

thanks,
-chris