problem with paravirt part of series

I tried booting the paravirt patches on a real machine to see what would
happen.  It had worked OK under qemu, so I thought it would be worth it.

It seems to boot OK, though perhaps fairly slowly, but once it hits
usermode it gets into trouble.  When starting udevd, the startup script
runs MAKEDEV, which seems to get stuck in an infinite loop in
userspace.  It eventually gets past that part of the boot sequence -
very slowly - then oopses at some later point.  I haven't tried
dissecting the patches to see where the problem might arise.  I'll try
again on a machine with a serial console to see if I can get a better
idea of what's failing.

The patches I'm talking about are:

    006-paravirt_header.patch
    007-paravirt-descriptor-ops.patch
    008-paravirt-structure.patch
    009-binary-patch.patch
    011-paravirt-head.S.patch
    012-paravirt-arch-setup.patch

applied to a 2.6.18-rc2-mm1 tree (with the initial part of the series as
well, of course).

Any ideas?