Single PV startup vs multiple PV startup

On Saturday 29 July 2006 04:57, Zachary Amsden wrote:
> Rusty Russell wrote:
> > My ideal is to be able to write a hypervisor without having to handle
> > any traps, and by simply filling in paravirt_ops on the Linux side.
> > Don't know if this is achievable, but we'll see...
> >
> That's a good goal, and is almost achievable.  You don't need
> instruction simulation traps with a full set of sensitive / privileged
> paravirt ops.  You still need to do some special things for page faults,
> but at least you shouldn't need to decode the instruction stream - which
> is a giant pain on x86.  This is why I wanted to make debug registers
> and rdpmc part of the VMI interface, even though they are not
> performance critical (or even used in Linux, in the case of performance
> counters).  Actually, you may need the decoding anyway, for #GP's from
> userspace, because segmentation concerns with the TLS library - unless
> you use a no-seg-neg TLS glibc (and don't have any statically linked TLS
> binaries).

Isn't it needed always for any kind of port- or MM-IO? Replacing all
these accesses  with para virtualized drivers may be too much.

I would prefer to not add hooks for everything in Linux,
but just emulate the non performance critical and simple stuff
that can be trapped.

See the x86 instruction decoding as a weird, but very well specified,
way to encode a hypercall.

-Andi