Single PV startup vs multiple PV startup

> Zachary Amsden wrote:
> The crazy string extraction Xen has to do to figure out hypervisor
> features from the xen_guest section - which is a really bad idea.
> Putting this in the kernel is unnecessary if you have a paravirt_ops
> initialization function which can negotiate this information to the
> hypervisor.  Putting this code into Linux sets an extremely bad
> precedent by encouraging ad-hoc, hypervisor specific sections
> to be put
> in the kernel.  It is ugly, gratuitous, and unnecessary change to
> Linux,  Please fix your loader so this doesn't need to be part of the
> maintained Linux code:

Except that the domain builder needs to know most of this information to
setup the guest correctly (initial pagetables, hypercall page) and to
check compatibility (pae, version, features).  I guess we could try to
agree on a structure, but that would only hinder evolution.

    Christian