[RFC, PATCH 0/24] VMI i386 Linux virtualization interface proposal

> On Mar 13, 2006, at 19:42, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>
> On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 10:30 -0800, Zachary Amsden wrote:
>>  and gives hypervisors room to grow while maintaining
>> binary compatibility with already released kernels.
>
> that I buy for binary only hypervisors. But in an open source world
> I'll
> buy this a LOT less as being relevant.

Binary compatibility to Linux is pretty important for applications.
Even though Apache is open source, I don't want to recompile it for
every new Linux kernel.  Fortunately I don't have to, because glibc
abstracts the Linux kernel interface.  Consider VMI in the same role
as glibc -- when the hypervisor changes, VMI maintains compatibility
with your pre-existing infrastructure, while letting you have some of
the benefits of the new hypervisor.  The upgrade and recompile game
can quickly end in a stalemate when you have packages with
conflicting dependencies (one package requires the old version, and
the other package requires the new version).

Josh