Phone meeting about kernel virtualization hooks

> I'm very encouraged that "we all know what needs doing" and I'm quite
> happy not to have the call.  I am concerned, however, that progress
> appears to have been very slow (Chris is currently on leave and very
> unavailable).  At the Xen mini-summit at OLS, Ian said it was urgent for
> Xen's success to get the hooks into the kernel and pleaded for help.
> Since then little has visibly happened (Zach has made a little
> progress).  How is this going to get done?
>
> So.  I'm cancelling the call but plead for someone to lead the effort
> (or at least explain what needs doing).  We are willing to help but need
> some direction.

If "we all know what needs doing", might be useful to list that out in
email just to make sure. Very very roughly, what I was thinking was to
make (and keep maintained a stack of (in order)):

mainline kernel + things going upstream + rest of xen

And keep that stack working. To put it another way, we need to keep slicing
stuff off the bottom of the Xen patch and merging it.

I don't think we have a working stack in that form at the moment (at least
not on top of any recent mainline kernel), which is my main concern right
now (can't really do much without it).

Would be splendid if we can keep that up-to-date with every major release,
plus -rc releases if possible. I know it's a lot of work ...

M.