virtualization kickoff

Welcome to the Linux virtualization list.  This mail should bring the list
uptodate with offlist mail.  It is a burgeoning attempt at generating
needs for Linux virtualization.  Thanks to Orran for putting together
the summary of the OLS BoF.

thanks,
-chris

----- Forwarded message from Orran Y Krieger <okrieg@xxxxxxxxxx> -----

Finally got around to typing in the mailing list for the virtualization
group we started at OLS in an informal BOF.  Added a few people who either
asked to be added, or who's name came up.   In the BOF, Cambridge kindly
offered to host the mailing list at least to start with, Ian will forward
you any nacks I get, and any new additions.

To get things rolling, we agreed to a two things at OLS:
1. we would put together a list of changes to linux we would like in order
to better enable virtualization, e.g., changes on x86 w.r.t. thread local
storage,  I think that vmware offered to start this list and send it out
for comments.
2. we would start a debate on various interfaces including: a)
paravirtualization interfaces to enable the same Linux kernel to run
across our different hypervisors, b) management interfaces, and c) various
control interfaces to allow common function across the different
hypervisors (e.g., checkpointing implemented outside of the base
hypervisor). I think Xen offered to start a list of their interfaces
according to function and categorized by platform independent or platform
specific.

I am really wondering if we want more than just someone to host this
mailing list, we will need to start maintaining various documents...
hopefully testing code, etc...  Thoughts?
                -- Orran
----- End forwarded message -----