Re: ftdi_sio: FTDI UART buffer overrun, no Bi requests for >200ms

On 19.12.2013 16:34, Greg KH wrote:
Was anything else going on on your machine during that time period? USB
can be held off for long periods of time for no real reason, but that
does seem like a long time.

Hi Greg,

Nothing significant was going on at the time as far as I can tell, no significant disk access (all application & system logging is to tmpfs). System CPU usage
was low, 6% or less.

The system was actually booted off the USB key attached to the same bus, but
the usbmon trace shows the key was hardly being touched.

And yes, the real solution is to use flow control, but still, this
shouldn't be happening.

What type of cpu/system is this running on?

Atom N450, running a 32-bit kernel.

Could something as simple as a dodgy USB cable or socket connection cause symptoms like this? There weren't any accompanying kernel error messages
when the error occurred.

Are there any error counters in the host controller that I could/should
monitor?

As I say, I've only seen this very occasionally, and I don't have a method
of recreating it.  So perhaps the best I can do is collect as much data
as possible to give some clue where the problem lies if/when it occurs
again...

--
Chris Sykes
chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx