Re: CP2102 mystery - ttyUSB0 vs usbfsbrltty/Projects/BrailleMemo/usbmon-ttyUSB0

[quoted lines by Greg KH on 2013/12/06 at 08:59 -0800]

>How are you accessing the device through usbfs?

Via /dev/usb/<bus>/<device>

>At that point, it's a "raw" USB device, the driver isn't connected and you now
>have to emulate the driver entirely from userspace,

Yes, I realize that. Our code already does that, with small hooks for
device-specific things. It's been working well for many years.

As I've said, all the control operations to configure the CP2102 look right. In
additiion, a set of queries verify that the configuration is correct. And, as
observed above, our generic code has been used with other serial adapters for
years and is working well.

>Anyway, the source is all there for the kernel driver, if you wish to
>reimplement it as a userspace program,

As a (perhaps naive) observation, since our code and the kernel driver are
doing essentially the same thing as confirmed by the usbmon traces I'd
attached, our code is (supposedly) doing all the right stuff. The extra
configuration queries we inserted, which are also in the usbmon trace, confirm
this, too.

>you really are on your own, sorry.

I understand that that's the easy answer to give, and perhaps I shouldn't
expect any more than that, but, really, is it really wrong to ask the "experts"
for a bit of help? Maybe you don't want to give any, but, just maybe, someone
who is knowledgeable regarding the CP2102 will be willing. I can only hope.
It's not, after all, like I haven't given it a serious attempt on my own,
already.

EMail: dave@xxxxxxxxx | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://FamilyRadio.com/