Re: USB 3.0 SDR / Ettus Research B200/210

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Where specifically in the kernel?  Busywaiting for data transferrs to
> complete, or doing something else?  Are you keeping the pipeline full to
> the device?  You should be able to hit USB "line speed" from userspace
> if you just are reading/writing bulk data with enough transferrs in
> flight.

I'll confirm this with my colleagues. Sorry I wasn't really verbose enough here.

> That's a good place to start, but it really depends on what type of
> interface you want to expose to userspace, as to what the best driver to
> base off of would be.

I was thinking about a simple char / misc device with a read / write / ioctl
or sysfs interface. The userland part would again be provided by UHD
as with our ethernet devices.

> As you are a ADC/DAC, you probably want to tie into the comedi
> subsystem, so take a look at the USB drivers in the
> drivers/staging/comedi/ subdirectories for an example of what to use.

Thanks a lot already for your quick response.
I'll read up on comedi and see if it fits our use case,
and hopefully come back with some code to look at ;-)

Cheers,

Moritz