Large USB HID transfers

Hello,

We are using a linux device as a iPad MFI peripheral.  In the current
scenario, the iPad is the USB device, and linux system is the host.
With Apple MFI in this configuration, the only protocol available to
transfer data is HID.  We're noticing that when we transfer a lot of
data over HID, the kernel is locked (seems that interrupts are
disabled) for up to 40ms at a time.

We noticed a big improvement when upgrading from the 3.0 to the 3.12
kernel, but the problem is still there.  The CPU is the TI DM3730
(same as beaglebone-xm).

Is this expected?  Any suggestions on where to start looking to improve this.

Thanks,
Cliff