Re: xhci-hcd wakeup settings

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> > > So it means xHCI driver should clear wakeup flags for suspended ports
> > > in this case, just like ehci driver does. Correct?
> >
> > Yes, I agree.
> >
> > Sarah, is this worth reporting to the Intel chipset engineers as a bug?
>
> I'm not sure.  I'll have to take a closer look at it after I get back
> from LinuxCon/Kernel Summit and vacation (which won't be until after Nov
> 6th, FYI).
>
> I do agree that it should be fixed.  I've stared at that code a couple
> times and tired to figure out why it unconditionally sets the wake on
> flags.  I suppose it might even explain some of the spurious wakeups
> we've seen on xHCI host controllers, although those systems seem to
> reboot on shutdown even if there's no port changes.

I suspect it looks the way it does because it was copied more or less
directly from ehci-hub.c.

Probably the current code is wrong.  The wakeup bits don't need to be
set during port suspend or root-hub suspend, but only during controller
suspend -- they get used only when the controller is not in D0.  I
guess we should change both drivers.

Alan Stern