Re: xhci usb issues with Etron Technology, Inc. EJ168 USB 3.0 Host Controller

On Sat, 7 Sep 2013, joe M wrote:

> Hello Sarah, Alan,
>
> Just wanted to check if you have any suggestions on how to go about
> debugging this issue.

Nothing that I haven't mentioned previously.

> I get these messages "usb 6-1: device not accepting address 5, error
> -62" when I connect my FS device to a USB 3.0 hub. I logged the
> messages from the device and can see a USB Reset happening. But,
> nothing else is happening after that.
>
> I attached a USB mouse to the USB3.0 port and it worked. I attach my
> FS device to a USB 2.0 or USB 1.1 port and it works.

You should note that when a device is attached to a USB-2 or USB-1.1
port, the computer does the following:

	Port reset

	Send a 64-byte Get-Device-Descriptor request to address 0 (the
	device will return only the first 8, 16, or 18 bytes of the
	descriptor, depending on the maxpacket size for ep0)

	Port reset

	Send a Set-Address request

	Send an 18-byte Get-Device-Descriptor request

By contrast, when a device is attached to a USB-3 port, the computer
does the following:

	Port reset

	Send a Set-Address request

	Send an 8-byte Get-Device-Descriptor request

	Send an 18-byte Get-Device-Descriptor request

It's possible that your device works with the first event sequence and
not the second.  What happens if you do:

	echo 1 >/sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_scheme_first

before plugging the device into a USB-2/1.1 port?  This will cause the
system to use the second procedure above instead of the first.

Alan Stern