Re: failure to resume from suspend cause by 84ebc102

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013, Adam Borowski wrote:

> > Is there any way to get the dmesg information when the system locks up?
> > For example, serial console, or netconsole?  Seeing that, along with
> > CONFIG_USB_DEBUG enabled, would help.
>
> Network doesn't work after a failed resume.
>
> I obtained a serial cable, output with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG=y attached.
>
> No WARNING this time.  In this session, the display returned and SysRq
> worked. Sometimes, the screen stays blank and SysRq doesn't work.
>
> Another session (also attached) was more interesting: after what seemed to
> be the usual lockup, I pulled out the mouse, preparing for more tests.

Alt-SysRq-W might help here.

> Suddenly, I see a BUG dump then a prompt.  The system was back up,
> apparently normal.  (No CONFIG_USB_DEBUG during that run).

Considering all the warnings and error messages from other parts of the
kernel in these logs, I think USB is the least of your worries.  :-)

Seriously, if you can fix all those other problems, there's an
excellent chance that everything will work okay, RUNTIME_PM enabled or
not.

By the way, the console output didn't include any debugging info
because you left the console log level set too low.  You need to do
Alt-SysRq-9 before starting the suspend.

Also, it may help if you avoid using the pm-suspend program and instead
just do: echo mem >/sys/power/state.

Alan Stern