Re: [RFC 2/3] EHCI: convert the IRQ handler to a tasklet

Le Thu, 22 Aug 2013 21:39:17 +0100,
Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> This patch divides ehci-hcd's interrupt handler into a top half and a
> bottom half, using a tasklet to execute the latter.
>
> The conversion is very straightforward.  The only subtle point is that
> we have to ignore interrupts that arrive while the tasklet is running
> (i.e., from another device on a shared IRQ line).

Do you have any reason to use a tasklet instead of a thread for
handling the bottom half ?

We do some embedded product and we saw some scenario where usb stack and
drivers can do lot's of processing in irq context. For example video
uvc driver do a copy of the current image in the urb completion
handler. And that's harm real time.

Moving to tasklet will solve only a part of the problem : other irq
won't be delayed by the usb irq handler.
But realtime threads will still be preempted by tasklets.

Matthieu