Re: [RFC] usb: gadget: start to drop endpoint naming conventions

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 12:29:55PM +0300, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> as we all know naming conventions are fragile and easy to break. We've
> had weird endpoint naming conventions for far too long in the gadget
> framework.
>
> I'm trying to come up with means to get rid of that and, one of the
> ideas, was to add transfer support flags to our struct usb_ep which gets
> initialized by the UDC driver. Then ep_matches() can use those flags to
> check if it should return that endpoint or not.
>
> The ***UNFINISHED*** patch below does just that and shows an example of
> how to initialize such flags on dwc3. Please go over it and let me know
> what you guys think.

there's one more positive point about this. We're starting to see some
SoC manufacturers adding trace-over-USB capabilities (e.g. OMAP5 has
such a feature) and tying the capability to specific endpoints (on OMAP5
only EP15IN has access to the trace buffer), so by using flags, rather
than names, it might be slightly easier to implement such non-standard
features. Or maybe not, who knows :-)

--
balbi