Re: Nexus 4 causes system hang (xhci_hcd)

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 03:39:01PM +0200, Vincent Thiele wrote:
> Nexus 4 causes system hang (xhci_hcd):

It helps if you Cc the xHCI driver maintainer (me) on bug reports.
Otherwise you run the risk of getting lost in my inbox. :)

> When I connect my Nexus 4 to the USB-Port (Front USB 3.0) the whole
> system hangs. Sometimes it starts working again after a short time.
> But often I need to press the reset button.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1203453

When you say "hang" what do you mean?

Does the computer completely freeze, so that you can't ssh into it?  Or
does all the USB devices simply stop working?  (Note, if you've got a
USB mouse and keyboard attached to the system, it will be hard to figure
out if the xHCI driver has died or the system is actually hung unless
you can ssh into the box.)

What type of USB device is the Nexus acting as?  Is it an MTP mass
storage device, or an ethernet device?

First, please send me dmesg from the times when it doesn't hang, but
starts working again.  It would be most useful for me if you could
recompile your kernel with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG and
CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD_DEBUGGING turned on, and then attempt to capture a
"hang".

Sarah Sharp