Re: Audio I/O parameters

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2013, James Stone wrote:
>
>> > The questions now are:
>> >
>> >         Why are the same requests sent over and over again?
>> >
>> >         Why does the ALSA driver attempt to set the clock frequency
>> >         while the clock is actively in use?
>> >
>> >         Has this behavior changed since the 3.5 kernel?
>> >

>> Well, I think these requests may correspond to the lights flashing on
>> and off on the front of the device. When starting the device in 3.5 at
>> 256 frames/period (duplex), the lights flash on and off 2 times, in
>> the current patched 3.8 version I have been using, the device lights
>> flash on and off 4 times before starting jack with exactly the same
>> settings - so it seems for some reason, the requests are going through
>> multiple times on the 3.8 kernel but not on 3.5. I will send a 3.5
>> usbmon trace of a successful start off list (plus the same for 3.8?)
>> if it would be useful.
>
> I don't know -- it's up to Clemens.
>
> Alan Stern

Hi Alan,

Just tried a few old kernels, and it seems that the bug I am
experiencing was introduced at the start of 3.7 - kernel 3.6.11 is
fine, and all the 3.7 series kernels are broken. So it seems it is not
the updated ehci usb code that is directly responsible for the
realtime audio problem. I have been trying the kernels from:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/. Any suggestions on how
to further zoom in on the culprit commit?

James