Re: Sound Blaster USB X-Fi configuration problem

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013, Mariusz Grecki wrote:

> > This is the same as the Audigy function, except for the printk string
> > and the 2-byte buffer instead of the 1-byte buffer, right?  Therefore I
> > suggest combining them into a single function.  You can pass the string
> > and the buffer size as arguments.
> There are the differences you mentioned (2 bytes buffer and printk
> function, of course printk is for debugging only) but this is is not the
> same as the Audigy since the message is sent twice (I am nor sure
> whether it is necessary or not - Windows did that twice and so did I)

You could try sending it once and see if it still works.

> and a kind of "reset" is needed at the end in case of X-Fi
> initialization (I made usb_reset_device(dev) but I am not sure whether
> it is the only or optimal way - I have seen also other "resets" used in

Most likely it is the best way.

> other quirk functions). Without this "reset" card was not initialized
> properly. This "reset" does not exist in case of Audigy quirk.

Adding a reset to the Audigy quirk probably won't hurt.  But the only
way to be sure is to try it with real hardware.

> Sure, the 2 functions can be combined in one with some additional
> arguments. I wonder only whether I should propose such solution - I have
> no experience in kernel and drivers code, especially reading the
> following in your message. But if you think I can do that I offer my
> help. The only problem can be I do not have Audigy sound card to test it.

Under the circumstances, I guess we have to err on the safe side and
keep the two functions separate.

Alan Stern