Re: question about bus_suspend and bus_resume

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013, Thomas Pugliese wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jul 2013, Alan Stern wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 17 Jul 2013, Thomas Pugliese wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > What is the expected behavior if a host controller does not implement
> > > bus_suspend and bus_resume?  I am seeing that with the HWA HCD, kworker
> > > and khubd peg the CPU at 100% because the kernel is constantly calling
> > > hcd_bus_suspend and hcd_bus_resume.  The calls to hcd_bus_suspend and
> > > hcd_bus_resume fail because hcd->bus_suspend and hcd->bus_resume are NULL.
> > > I have reproduced this behaviour using 3.11rc1 all the way back to 3.9.2.
> >
> > I think the expected behavior is close to what you described.  :-)
> >
> > Seriously, AFAIK nobody thought about this case.  To prevent this
> > problem, the HCD's start routine would have to disable runtime PM for
> > the root hub, by calling
> >
> > 	pm_runtime_disable(&hcd->self.root_hub.dev);
> >
> > Alan Stern
> >

> Hi Alan.  Thanks for the response.  I tried your suggestion of calling
> pm_runtime_disable in the HCD start routine but this causes the set
> configuration request to fail on the root hub.  The output looks like
> this:
>
> usb usb6: usb_probe_device
> usb usb6: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> usb usb6: can't set config #1, error -13

Ah.  Okay, I haven't tried to do this before; it's not surprising that
something would go wrong.

> What appears to happen is that usb_set_configuration calls
> usb_autoresume_device which eventually results in a call to rpm_resume
> which fails with -EACCES.  This causes usb_set_configuration to bail out.
> Is there a better place to call pm_runtime_disable that would allow the
> root hub to successfully start?

Looks like a better way to prevent runtime PM is to make sure the usage
counter is always > 0.  Calling pm_runtime_get_noresume() instead of
pm_runtime_disable() will accomplish this.

If you're interested, the full set of runtime-PM calls relating to new
USB devices can be found in core/hub.c:usb_new_device().

Alan Stern