Re: Huawei E398 and at^ndisdup

Enrico Mioso <mrkiko.rs@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi all guys!
> I came across one of the strangest devices ever, at least to me: a Huawei E3131
> device:
> Model: E3131
> Revision: 21.157.41.01.1037
> But the usb id says a different story:
> Bus 003 Device 023: ID 12d1:1506 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E398
> LTE/UMTS/GSM Modem/Networkcard
>
> But this hardware in particular doesn't support LTE.

Huawei reuse device IDs.  12d1:1506 is used for E398, E392 and many
other devices.  So the descriptive text from the device ID database is
meaningless.  There is no way to know what device this is based on the
USB descriptors only.

> the device is handled by option + cdc_ncm - and that sounds right.
> Now - the problem: with the
> at^ndisdup
> or
> at^ndisconn
> commands, it is not possible to establish a connection. How can this device be
> used without PPP?

If at^ndisdup doesn't work, then we do not know.  You could try snooping
on Windows and see what it does to connect this modem.

> I saw some patches in modemmanager, but can't understand exactly how things
> work.
>
> I know this is not the right list to post this question - but my hope is that
> someone could help me understand.

Yes, as long as this is more related to userspace than drivers, then the
new ModemManager list is probably more appropriate:

Bjørn