Re: usb reset issue ...

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013, raespi wrote:

> On 06/25/2013 10:26 AM, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 Jun 2013, raespi wrote:
> >
> >> On my board I can't hook up my application again to the new address
> >> since it's the only parameter identifiable by it.  Both FTDI Devices
> >> have the same product and vendor numbers:
> >>
> >> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0403:6001
> >> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0403:6001
> >>
> >> The address on which they are on is the only ID I've got.
> > That's not true; there's also the port number.  In this case, the log
> > messages above show one device plugged into port 3 of the hub and the
> > other device plugged into port 4.  Therefore the addresses are
> > available in the files
> >
> > 	/sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1.3/devnum
> > 	/sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1.4/devnum
> >
> > If you plug the devices into different ports, the file paths will
> > change accordingly.
> Yes I'm aware of that.  The problem is that which device gets to which
> port ??.

Whoever assembled the system should know that.  Besides, you already
face this problem in a different form: Which FTDI device gets which
address?

>  Maybe I can tweak my app so that it tries to discover which
> are the new ports but how can I identify them ??

I don't know what you mean by "new ports".  Ports are pieces of
hardware; they don't flash into and out of existence.

> Say the sensor A gets
> to port 3 and sensor B gets to port 4 the first time,  but when a reset
> happens they get switched in order and sensor A gets to port 5 and
> sensor B gets to port 4??.

That won't happen unless you remove the wires connecting the sensors to
the board, swap the wires, and then reconnect them to the board.

>  In a medical device this is catastrophic.
> Does the kernel always assign them in order ?? 3 and 4 or 4 and 5 ??

The port numbers are fixed.  They are built into the hub's hardware.

> My device has no ports, it's a custom made industrial PCB if the reset
> happens you're saying it's only because of a hardware fault ??

By "port", I mean the particular connector on the PCB that the sensor
is wired to.  Under this meaning, your device very definitely _does_
have ports.

When the reset happens, it is certainly because of some fault.  I can't
tell from your description whether the fault is in hardware or
software.

Alan Stern