Re: URB completion order, normal behavior or bug?

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 04:56:22PM -0500, Daniel Santos wrote:
> On 06/23/2013 01:43 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> >On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 01:13:34PM -0500, Daniel Santos wrote:
> >>So I'm working on this MCP2210 driver which talks in 64-byte
> >>request/response pairs using interrupt URBs (it can be used with
> >>hid-generic, but I don't want to do that).  I'm testing on a
> >>Raspberry Pi Model B using the Raspbian 3.9.7 kernel.
> >My deepest sympathies, the USB host controller driver on the Raspberry
> >Pi is a huge shop of horrors, it's amazing that it works at all, and
> >when it does, it eats huge amounts of CPU for no known good reason.
> >
> >Good luck with it, and be happy that it's working for you in the first
> >place :)
> >
> >Anyway...
>
> Well, our project needs more than two USB ports, and we were looking
> at the model A anyway, so maybe I should just find some nice USB hub
> chip and/or PIC that uses SPI and has a good stable driver and hook
> it up via the Pi's SPI interface?  I know that sounds kinda stupid
> when it already has the USB interface on it, but if it's an unstable
> thing, it may be good since we're going to be moving big telescopes
> around with these things and it would be bad if it suddenly whacked
> somebody in the head because of a bad USB message. :)

I would trust SPI over USB, especially as you have more "direct" control
over SPI than USB.  But if you only have USB, then perhaps you should
use a different device than the RPI?  Like a BeagleBoneBlack?  Or some
other tiny Linux machine, there are a lot of them under 100 USD these
days.

Best of luck,

greg k-h