Re: [RFC 3/6] xhci: Remove BUG in xhci_setup_addressable_virt_dev

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 05:42:59PM -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> From: Mathias Nyman <mathias.nyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> We may have more speed types in the future, so fail gracefully, rather
> than causing the kernel to panic.
>
> BUG() was called if the device speed was unknown when setting max packet
> size.  Set the max packet size at the same time as the slot speed and
> get rid of one switch statement with BUG() option completely.
>
> [Note: Sarah merged a patch that she wrote that touched the
> xhci_setup_addressable_virt_dev function with this patch from Mathias
> for clarity.]
>
> This patch should be backported to kernels as old as 2.6.31, that
> contain the commit 3ffbba9511b4148cbe1f6b6238686adaeaca8feb "USB: xhci:
> Allocate and address USB devices"

How is this a stable issue?  Do you have devices out there that will
panic on this existing code, or are devices coming, that will panic the
current code because of the BUG_ON()?  If so, that's a good reason for
this, otherwise I need to be convinced.

thanks,

greg k-h