ehci_hcd nonfunctional in 3.9.0,3.9.3

(apologies if this is duplicate; I've tried posting several times over the
past few days, but it seems to be getting silently dropped)

This problem occurs in 3.9.0 and 3.9.3, but not in 3.6.11. Stock
kernel, not tainted, most things (including USB drivers) compiled as
modules.

modprobing ehci_hcd (with no HCD modules loaded) logs only one line in
dmesg:

ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver

I expect it to take control of my USB card, which is this:

00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller

Also, /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd does not exist.

Also also, 'modinfo ehci_hcd' shows no 'alias' lines.

Modprobe of ohci_hcd does what I expect:
 - shows the appropriate messages about finding the chipsets.
 - creates /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ohci_hcd
 - registers all my USB hubs and devices, which work at <= 12Mbps

So ehci_hcd is just sitting there like a lump - no errors, no
activity.

Please let me know what other information would be helpful.

-Eric