Re: USB 3 to SATA ASM1042 dies under I/O load

Martin,
On 2 May 2013 18:26, Martin Mokrejs <mmokrejs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   I can only tell you that I had success with ASM1051 on the drive side
> (SilverStone Treasure TS04) against both NEC uPD720200 (rev. 3) controller
> and TI controller on the computer side. But ASM1051 does not propagate
> S.M.A.R.T. values back from the drive.
[...]
>   I have added some items to the table and also am attaching my old benchmarks.

Wow.  Thanks for all that material!

>   Maybe check if your express card works quickly enough? Maybe play with tehse
> kernel command line pci=option,option2,... parameters (from kernel-parameters.txt
> file):
[...]

Was going to try that, when I just had a revelation: electricity.
Turns out that my ExpressCard USB 3 adapter does not provide enough
power to fuel the SSD on full write load.  Attaching that extra cable
that pulls juice from one of the regular USB ports made it work.

So thanks for all that material, but this one was an oversight on my part.

Thanks and sorry for the noise!

Stephan

PS: I faintly remember that I saw a "USB device is using too much
power" warning on Windows.  Is there a programmatic way to detect that
and inform the user?  Or is in this case the automatic switching off
enough of a sign?  (I am quite familiar with the clicking of spinning
disks that do not get enough power, but these SSDs are surprisingly
non-verbose in that regard :)