Re: usb-storage causes hibernation to freeze before snapshotting image

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013, Paul Menzel wrote:

> Dear Linux USB folks,
>

> using Debian Wheezy/testing with Linux 3.2.39-2 and
> uswsusp 1.0+20110509-3, I see the following problem similar to the one
> described in some Ubuntu forum from 2009 [1] or a question from 2012 to
> Ask Ubuntu [2].
>
> Running `pm-hibernate` and `s2disk`, sometimes everything works, but
> very often, it does not snapshot the system but just stalls.
>
>         Looking for splash system... none
>         s2disk: Snapshotting system
>
> Comparing the loaded modules listed in `/var/log/pm-suspend.log`, it
> turns out that the module `usb-storage` is the problem. Unloading this
> before hibernating, by doing for example
>
>     $ echo "MODULES_SUSPEND=usb-storage" >> /etc/pm/config.d/60-modules
>
> the problem cannot be reproduced anymore.
>
> I attach some more information at the end of the message.
>
> Do you know if such a problem was fixed in later Linux kernels? How
> should that be debugged?

You should start by running a later Linux kernel; that will answer your
first question right away.

For further testing, you should build the kernel with
CONFIG_USB_DEBUGGING enabled and see what the dmesg log says following
a failed attempt to hibernate.

You may also want to try running usbmon (see
Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt) during the hibernation attempt.  It might
provide some useful information.

Alan Stern