Re: Exporting iInterface (and associated string) in debugfs?

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 04:13:20PM +0200, Stefan Tauner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I discovered that the optional strings and their indices of interface
> descriptors are not exported in debugfs when I was looking at usbview's
> source (https://github.com/gregkh/usbview/issues/5).
>
> I am not sure yet if they are cached (e.g. in rawdescriptors in struct
> usb_device or even more conveniently) or if one would have to fetch
> them with usb_get_descriptor(). More importantly though I wonder if you
> think it is useful to export them at all? I haven't apprehended the
> debugfs/sysfs differences regarding USB yet apparently. Maybe a better
> question would have been "Why does usbview not use sysfs (or even
> libusb)?".

usbview predates both sysfs and libusb, it used only the usbfs 'devices'
file when it was created (way back in 1999 or so).  That's why it
doesn't use those apis.

My long-term goal is to merge usbview into usbutils, which does use
libusb, so that will resolve the dependancy on the debugfs 'devices'
file.

There really is no place in usbview to put the interface optional
strings at the moment, but 'lsusb' should show you them just fine,
right?

thanks,

greg k-h