Re: FTDI FT2232C issue

On Tue, 2 Apr 2013, Yegor Yefremov wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Apr 2013, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
> >
> >> I'm making a burn-in test (see serialtest.py
> >> http://pastebin.com/pz47gaar) for our devices, that have built-in FTDI
> >> chips. If FT2232C is attached directly to the USB host controller
> >> port, the tests run properly. If I connect the chip to a USB-hub some
> >> of the tests show timeout errors (read() routine). On the newer host
> >> with USB3.0 this issue occurs on all USB ports where I attach FT2232C.
> >> I tried kernels 3.2, 3.5 and 3.8.
> >>
> >> The test procedure opens two ports, exchanges data and closes ports.
> >> If I don't open/close ports I don't encounter this issue.
> >>
> >> The FT4232H has no problems whether I attach it to USB HC or via HUB.
> >> Any idea how to workaround the problem?
> >
> > If you use a different type of hub, does the test work?
>
> So far I tested with 3 different hub chips SMSC, GL (USB2.0) and one
> USB3.0 hub - no difference.

In that case, try collecting two usbmon traces showing what happens
during the test.  In one trace, connect the FT2232C directly to the
computer port; in the other, go through the GL hub.  See
Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt for instructions.

By the way, do the errors still occur if you attach the hub to a USB-2
port?

Alan Stern