Re: Help with xHCI, uvcvideo driver, and "Unknown event condition, HC probably busted"

Hi Ezequiel,

Thanks so much for replying, I worried my call for help would just
become more buried.

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Ezequiel Garcia
<ezequiel.garcia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
> Small world, uh?
>
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 02:55:48PM -0700, Ryan Press wrote:
>> I'm working to get the 3.9-rc1 kernel working on the Globalscale
>> Mirabox http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-58-mirabox-development-kit.aspx.
>>  The PCIe driver by Thomas Petazzoni is not in mainline yet but I have
>> his latest patch; this is required for the FL1009 host controller.
>>
>> I have everything mostly working.  A USB 3.0 SSD works great, I tested
>> un-buffered speed at 120 MB/s.  I am trying to get a USB 2.0 video
>> capture device working and I'm running into problems.  So far I have
>> tested using the uvcvideo and stk1160.  They both fail with "xhci_hcd
>> 0000:02:00.0: ERROR Unknown event condition, HC probably busted",
>> although the uvcvideo device does work for perhaps a minute with
>> smooth video.  Sometimes it resets the host controller and the
>> attached SSD goes offline.
>>
>> On a different ARM box running 3.8-rc1 kernel the stk1160 is known
>> working, albeit it has only a USB 2.0 host controller.  So I don't
>> suspect this driver necessarily.
>>
>> Below is my dmesg log.  I would think the PCIe driver could be the
>> problem but because the USB 3.0 SSD works perfectly I'm not sure this
>> is the case.  Does anyone have insight into what's going on?
>>

> As the stk1160 author, I'm glad to see someone is using it ;-)

Wow, I didn't realize you wrote that as well.  Thanks!  This is really
the driver I want to use.

> FWIW, stk1160 (as any other video device) uses isochronous
> URBs while your SSD (any other storage) *probably* uses bulk URBs.
>
> I'm not sure if this has anything to do with your problem,
> but at least it means you shouldn't compare those devices as similar.

Yeah, I know; many years ago I wrote a WDM USB video driver, but now
I'm more a hardware guy.  I was just thinking that if it was some
underlying problem with the PCIe, I would also see it with the SSD.
But I'm sure there's more than meets my eye.

> I'll see what I can do about it and let you know.

Great!  This is really the last big problem I'm having and it would be
fantastic to resolve it.

Thanks,
Ryan