Re: Help with analysing an USB problem with Garmin nuvi and VirtualBox

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013, Alan Stern wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Mar 2013, Roger James wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I apologize if this is slightly OT, but I am in need of help from some
> > USB gurus. I am trying to analyse a problem with (my) Garmin nuvi GPS
> > units attached to an Ubuntu 12.04 system running Windows (both XP and
> > Windows 8 exhibit the same problem) inside VirtualBox.
> >
> > The unit should eventually appear to the windows os as two portable
> > storage devices (usb mass storage). However the connection process is
> > aborted early on in windows with a "device cannot start code 10"
> > diagnostic (whatever that means!).
> >
> > I have run a wireshark trace of the of the usb activity on the device in
> > the linux os (available here http://paste.ubuntu.com/5637367/),
>
> Are you sure that's what this file is?  It contains fields that look
> distinctly Windows-ish, not Linux-like.

Sorry, my mistake, I got the URL's mixed up.  This one doesn't seem to
contain anything -- it's 10 bytes when I download it.

Alan Stern

P.S.: If it's any help, most likely your problem is caused by
VirtualBox.  It probably doesn't pass all the USB information through
to the guest correctly.