Re: Two remain problems at chipidea driver

Felipe Balbi <balbi@xxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,

>> > Sorry, I don't get why the driver needs to know what the chipidea can do
>> > in theory (dr_cap). IMHO it should be sufficient to tell the driver what
>> > that exact hardware it runs on can do (dr_mode). What the hardware can
>> > do depends on the actual chipidea implementation used in that SoC and
>> > the board the SoC is soldered on.
>>
>> Again, see the discussion above.
>>
>> In real world products (that is, phones and tablets as opposed to jolly
>> fun development boards), vendors will want to limit the usb
>> functionality to peripheral only or host only or whatever, because the
>> middleware stack can only do one thing or because they don't want to go
>> through with otg certification or you name it. Meanwhile, the controller
>
> that's not entirely true. A manufacturer can decide to skip OTG
> certification but still support Dual Role. Look at the whole Android
> Accessory Kit, for example.

Sure, I was just making an example of how device capabilities can differ
from device's intended function.

>> and the whole device can still support otg. And we need to know that if
>> we're to try to detect vbus session, because that is done via OTGSC
>> which is only available in otg configurations.
>
> well, if it's only available in OTG configurations, then you make the
> same assumption in driver. If driver was compiled with OTG, you check
> OTGSC; otherwise don't.

I'd kind of like to support different configurations in runtime and have
as few compilation options as possible. Of course, if it means extra
spaghetti, there's a trade off right there.

Regards,
--
Alex