Re: Keyboard/mouse dead in 3.8.2 from kernel.org

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 15 March 2013 14:08:40 Alan Stern did opine:
>
> > On Fri, 15 Mar 2013, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Greetings;
> > >
> > > What modules do I need to make builtin in order to have a working
> > > keyboard
> >
> > > when the boot fails when the keyboard/mouse is this:
> > The question doesn't make sense.  If boot fails, _none_ of the devices
> > in the system will work.
> >
> > Alan Stern
>
> The keyboard works during the grub screen session before selecting that
> freshly built kernel to boot.
>
> It fails while trying to mount a non-existent /dev/sde, and falls out 30
> seconds later to a busybox shell prompt, it doesn't make sense that I would
> have no keyboard then.
>
> I figured you folks should have the path from:
>  idVendor           0x045e Microsoft Corp.
>  idProduct          0x0745
>
> to a usable keyboard memorized.
>
> But then I think logically (for a 78 YO)  :)

You need to have CONFIG_USB, CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD, CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD,
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD, CONFIG_USB_EHCI_PCI, CONFIG_HID, and
CONFIG_USB_HID all set to y.  Not all of those HCD entries are needed
-- it depends on your hardware -- but you can include them all anyway.

Alan Stern