PROBLEM: since linux kernel 3.8 Apple Cinema Display's usb hub spits errors randomly at boot.

Not sure if it's better or worse but that's where we are right now. :)
So I'm back to 3.9 where everything works beautifully (well, almost)

 I think I should mention that one thing has chnaged in my installation. I've
updated my systemd to 198, but it had no negative effects on 3.9

Let me know if I should try something else.

PS I have a friend who accidentally also had usb issues with 3.8.2 on nvidia
chipsets and I took the liberty to send him your patch. It worked for
him....thought it will cheer you up a little :)

// Jenya

I think I should try to rebuild the 3.9 kernel with all the 'trouble' settings
and see what happens. I'm just curious...

I did it and the errors were also there in 3.9 rc2 and as you said, it looks
like it is my particular configuration then. What was required for them to
dissappear was to set (additionally to your USB EHCI suggestions) CONFIG_USB
to 'y'.

Maybe it was obvious, but I wanted to make sure.

// Jenya