tuning EHCI_TUNE_CERR

Hi all,

   We are facing an issue in one of our platforms which seems to be
indirectly related to how close USB transactions are attempted (in
case of failed transactions).  In the EHCI layer, we have these two
defines that deal with retries for failed USB transactions:

#define EHCI_TUNE_CERR          3
#define QH_XACTERR_MAX          32

   Would appreciate any help with the following questions:

- Are EHCI_TUNE_CERR and QH_XACTERR_MAX applicable to exactly the same
set of bus-level errors (namely the single error: XactErr) ?  Or in
other words, are only the errors that are retried in EHCI-software by
using QH_XACTERR_MAX benefiting by the use of EHCI_TUNE_CERR set to a
value > 1?

- We are contemplating reducing EHCI_TUNE_CERR  from 3 to 1 (while
keeping QH_XACTERR_MAX the same).  This helps us because SW is
involved with subsequent retries and there is a finite amount of delay
involved there.  What are the effects on the system if we do this ?  I
can think of the following few :

(a) Possible reduced throughput in case the USB device responds poorly
(b) Possibility of more frequent interrupts to the system during the
duration where XactErrs are encountered
(c) Possible impact on the robustness (of dealing with badly behaving
devices or bad bus conditions) as the effective number of retries are
now reduced from 32*3 to 32*1.  We can surely counter this by
increasing QH_XACTERR_MAX to (32*3)

  are there any more that we are missing?

-hari