Re: [RFC] USB: cdc-wdm: add msgsize sysfs attribute

Oliver Neukum <oliver@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Saturday 09 February 2013 20:16:20 Bjørn Mork wrote:
>> Oliver Neukum <oliver@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> > On Saturday 09 February 2013 18:41:52 Bjørn Mork wrote:
>
>> Well, OK..., "generic" then.  In the sense that the attribute stays the
>> same regardless of whether the value is hardcoded in the driver (QMI),
>> or parsed from wMaxCommand (CDC WDM) or wMaxControlMessage (CDC MBIM)
>>
>> Not sure I understand what you want here...  I am trying to avoid having
>> three different attributes for the three drivers currently needing this
>> number.
>
> I would say that the most generic solution would be an ioctl()

Ugh.  Difficult to use from a shell script and not easy to use in
debugging instructions. And why is that more generic than a sysfs
attribute?

I really thought the ioctl() way was deprecated and sysfs was the way
forward.  Isn't it?  Or is that only if you don't already have a
character device?

>> > Really, ideally user space would not know what driver is handling
>> > the control channel.
>>
>> Well, as it is now user space has a long tradition for looking at driver
>> names.  ModemManager has done that for quite while when it comes to
>> serial drivers, because the driver name is one of the few information
>> sources available telling it something about the expected protocols.
>
> But that has caused the problems. If you get cdc-acm, you know nothing.

Yes, the usefulness depends on the driver.  Some drivers tell you
something, others do not.

If we want to avoid having userspace looking at the driver of
/dev/cdc-wdmX devices, then we need to add some other way to get the
protocol information.

Bjørn