[help] How to detect USB "use"

Hi all !

I need some help about USB.

My company has a self-made board that we want to use as an USB peripheral.

For some reasons, we are still in kernel version 2.6.31.14 and we use a
ISP1504.
To use the board in a peripheral mode, we use the module "fsl_usb2_udc"
and "g_file_storage".

It works fine but we switch with the "g_ether" module too. For that, we
would like to load the module (chosen by the user) only when the USB
cable is plugged into a computer (so only when it is in use).

I need some help about it. Is there some information/events that I can
read to know when the USB cable has been plugged ? I wanted to see
around the USB power but I don't really understand how it works. It
seems to be linked with SRP but I am not sure of that and where to read
this information ! Can I detect when the host has powered the peripheral
via USB ?

And, for you, is it better to keep modules always loaded and removed it
only when the user wants to switch (for example, always load the modules
"fsl_usb2_udc" and "g_file_storage" by default and change the
"g_file_storage" by "g_ether" only when the user wants to) or always
load the "fsl_usb2_udc" and load the module "g_ether" or
"g_file_storage" only when the user wants to use the USB (and so when
there is a USB cable plugged) and remove the modules once the user has
finished (and so unplugged the cable) ?

Thank you in advance for any help ! :)

--
Mylène JOSSERAND