Super-Speed device that is only recognized as High-Speed, replugging to another device isn't always recognized

Hi

Lately, like since about half year or so (I'm using USB3 since before it
worked reliably (or at all) nearly 3 years ago), it happens more and
more often that a SS-device is "only" recognised as a High-Speed device,
AFAICR it happens more often when i disconnect one HDD and plug in
another immediatly (a few seconds appart, they are lying one ontop the
other so switching the cable doesn't take long).

And sometimes after i switch a HDD with another it isn't recognized at
all as "new device plugged in". I haven't tried how "old" the system
thinks the device is, the wrong udev-symlinks are enough to stop me in
my tracks. Re-Plugging has always worked in this case.
(Unplug, wait 5 seconds, re-plug and eh voila the right udev-symlinks
are there)

So my first question is:
Is there a way to force a renegotiation, without powering down the
device? I tried physical re-plugging a few times, but that didn't work.
Some goes for the case when the device isn't recognizes as new, can i
force a rediscovery, so to speak?

Second question:
What can i do to try debug this?

Today i copied files to 3 pairs of HDDs.
All 3 pairs were connected by the same 2 cables connected to the 2
ports of an Intel xHCI (Z77 Chipset Mainboard)

- The first pair got recognised as both SS.
- The second pair got recognised as one SS and one HS.
(Here i switched cables. Re-plugging after i saw that one was HS didn't
work.)
- The third pair got recognised as both SS.
(Here i had switched off the other HDDs and there were a few minutes
inbetween switching the old pair of and swiching the new pair on)

The second problem didn't show up today.

--

Matthias