Re: Clarifications on usb device driver probe() function

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 06:10:50PM +0100, stl wrote:
> > What does your device do?
>
> Ok, to clarify the situation, I have ported uClinux for a new architecture.
> We also have our own usb2.0 otg controller IP.
> Since our system is designed for embedded systems, we want a usb
> platform driver.
> (a UDC driver if I well understood)
> I really mean "device-side" , not "host-side" .
> I have included my platform driver in the usb/gadget directory, and I
> am at the moment
> using zero.c as gadget driver.

fair enough... now that's a lot clearer. Did you design your own OTG
controller or did you license from someone else ?

I ask because we don't want to accept duplicated code in mainline and if
there is already a driver available, it might make your life easier.

> > > Some vendors use device_register(). What does it do?
>
> > which vendors ? which drivers use this ?
>
> For example, the drivers/usb/gadget/at91_udc.c driver use device_register.

I'm cleaning all of that up. See the commits here:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/balbi/usb.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/gadget-refactor-dev-registration

--
balbi