Re: USB host port acts like a signal generator

On Thursday 24 January 2013, 03:44 "Du, Yuyang" <yuyang.du@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My intent is really special, I don't know whether I missed something, but all the articles about writing a USB driver do not address my need.
>
> I want to use the USB port on the host as a signal generator to drive a USB cable (the two data lines) connected to another device's USB connector. The generator just needs to output 1 or 0 (high or low signal) as controlled by a user space program.
>
> What should I do? Could you please help me?
>
> Thanks,
> Yuyang

Hi,

I think you're better off by using your soundcard as a function generator.
You can also use a USB soundcard (if it must be USB).
You will probably (unless you have one with differential drivers) get no differential signal as USB does.
As you don't tell any requirements regarding speed, this appears to be the easiest way to make a USB Function Generator.

USB Controllers speak USB not PWM or anything similar. ;-)

	Carsten

P.S.: whatever this might be good for...

--
"Seit die Mathematiker über die Relativitätstheorie hergefallen sind, verstehe ich sie selbst nicht mehr."
(“Since the mathematicians have invaded the theory of relativity I do not understand it myself any more.”)

- Albert Einstein