Re: USB subsystem stops working

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> On Di, 22 Jan 2013, Alan Stern wrote:
> > It looks like things may improve if you do
> >
> > 	echo 50 >/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/power/autosuspend_delay_ms
>
> > I did some testing over here.  It looks like in addition to increasing
> > the autosuspend delay, the following patch is needed.
>
> In fact I *forgot* to increase the autosuspend delay and *only*
> used your patch, and it did work.

Not increasing the delay explains why you got all those "suspend failed
because a port is resuming" messages.

> Updated log is at the same place
> 	http://www.preining.info/usb-syslog-prob.txt

That whole interval between 16:18:14 and 16:18:25 makes no sense.  It
looks like some program is trying to communicate with your hub during
that time.  Do you have any idea what's going on?

Perhaps you can enable usbfs_snoop and run another test:

	echo y >/sys/module/usbcore/parameters/usbfs_snoop

You should post the output from the dmesg command rather than the
contents of the system log.

Alan Stern