How to add USB device ID

I use an USB device that looks like a serial port to the kernel.  However,
since the Device ID is unknown, I have to either modprobe usbserial with
the vendor/id codes as parameters, or modify generic.c so it knows to
handle the device.  I have been going with the code modification since
there are 2 versions of this device with different numbers, and you can
only do 1 on the command line.

What is the "right" way to see if it can be pushed into mainline support?
It seems overkill to write another driver that essentially wraps around
generic.c.

Thanks,
Kevin