Re: Remove CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND?

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 08:55:33PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 12:28:38PM +0800, Peter Chen wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 11:11:15AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> > > I suggest that we remove the CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND option, starting in
> > > 3.9.  Practically everyone enables it, and the amount of code it
> > > protects is fairly small (just portions of usbcore, nothing in the
> > > drivers).
> > >
> > > Basically, if people don't want their kernels to save power then they
> > > should turn off CONFIG_PM.
> > >
> > > Objections, anyone?
> > Sorry, I may not agree with this due to below reasons:
> >
> > - Some customers wants system PM, but do not want usb runtime power
> > management, such as Car Navigation System. They want system
> > responds fast after user press power on key, but they don't care
> > usb power during runtime.
>
> What is "fast"?  And you can always explicitly keep the device away by
> writing to the proper sysfs file, right?
I mean system suspend/resume.

> And this isn't always true from all automotive systems, some that I talk
> to in that industry do need this, as they are not allowed to drain a lot
> of power all the time (think about when running on a car battery), and
> their power budget is quite low.

Correct, CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND can let the user choose if they want
USB runtime PM or not, you know different users may have different
requirements.

> > - For embedded system, we have may SoCs, and USB low power mode
> > is the most challenge job when we bring up new USB module, usually,
> > our develop sequence like: basic USB functions --> USB function after
> > System suspend/resume --> USB Runtime PM. We usually disable USB
> > runtime PM at first.
>
> So you need to get this working properly for your devices, what's wrong
> with that?  :)

Yes, we can debug that but it needs some efforts. Maybe for alpha release
we only add basic USB function, for beta release we will add usb suspend/resume
function. Then, at next release, we will add USB runtime PM.
I just want to say keep CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND can give users more choices
no matter debug, development or final product procedure.
--

Best Regards,
Peter Chen