Re: Remove CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND?

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012, Martin Mokrejs wrote:

> Hi,
>   I just subscribed to the linux-usb list as an occasional user  ...
> I glanced through this thread backwards ... and am somehow surprised
> nobody objects. I am no expert but it is my impression a lot of us
> want CPU powersaving, maybe LCD powersaving and don't care about
> external USB devices. It is only causing a hassle if the mouse goes
> sleep every 2 seconds or first keyboard keystroke goes away because
> it just woke up the keyboard. Even worse if a usb-storage device goes
> sleep and kernel chokes on subsequent file access. Sure, it is because
> of broken devices, firmware, sometimes linux ... but why do I have to
> sacrifice all power-saving to avoid potential issues. I just do not want
> to hit new bugs here or there in powersaving features in USB devices,
> really. They are cheap, crappy and I accepted it. But please, don't
> make me either use their power-saving or disable powersaving altogether.
>   I believe you know very well what in kernel is affected and if you say
> few lines of code are affected, but do you really want laptop-mode-tools
> and all other to change their documentation, config files and make
> all the whitelists and blacklists in their config files useless? If I
> get it right I either use the tool as a whole or not at all? Really?
>
>   I must be missing something. sorry for my incompetence taht I am not so
> knowledgeable of power-saving in general. Am just a 'looser'. ;)

Don't worry -- asking questions like this is how you learn.

Yes, you are indeed missing something.  I didn't propose that the USB
power-saving code be removed from the kernel.  Rather, I suggested that
the Kconfig option be removed so that it will no longer be possible to
build a kernel _without_ the power-saving code.

Alan Stern