Re: Bug. Can't read uvcvideo (usb video / webcams) devices

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012, [KOI8-R] ���� wrote:

> Guys, possibly found bug in usb host controller.

This is not a new bug; it has been known for many, many years.  The
ehci-hcd driver does not allocate periodic schedules very well for
full-speed and low-speed devices.

> Attempting to read /dev/video0 for USB video device gives:
> libv4l2: error turning on stream: No space left on device
>
> The camera:
> Bus 002 Device 006: ID 18ec:3299 Arkmicro Technologies Inc.
>
> The hardware on that machine, is ok. I also have win7 installed and
> the camera works in it.
> I tested this camera on other two machines with Ubuntu 12.10 and it
> works out of the box (luvcview, guvcview).

Actually, the camera does not seem to be working properly.  Did you
notice these lines in the log?

[  373.762871] usb 1-1.6: new full-speed USB device number 4 using ehci_hcd
[  373.855116] usb 1-1.6: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub

The camera should be running at high speed -- at least, it claims to
support high speed -- but it's only using full speed.

> I tested it with the latest mainline kernel, the bug still exists.

Yes.  I'm afraid this bug isn't going to be fixed any time soon.
Fixing it will be a pretty big job; it's not a simple bug.

> Here is the link to bug at Ubuntu's launchpad:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1088395
>
> Necessary files attached.

Alan Stern