Re: Linux USB file storage gadget with new UDC

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012, Bjørn Mork wrote:

> Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > If you read the confidentiality notice, you'll see that it merely says
> > that the contents of the email _may_ be confidential.  Also, it warns
> > people who _aren't_ the intended addressees -- but if the message was
> > sent to a public email list then obviously there are no such people.
> >
> > So I don't see any problem.
>
> Then I guess you missed this unconditional part?:
>
>  "be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
>   e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. "
>
> This means that victor is deliberately violating his company policy by
> continuing to send emails to a public list, which is the direct action
> causing disclosure, copying and distribution of the e-mail.  You can of
> course not blame list admins or subscribers here.
>
> I still do not see how a patch with such restrictions can be useful to
> anyone. But I am not the one to decide that...

This is wrong, partly because you are quoting out of context and partly
because of a grammatical error in the original notice.  Here's the text
with the context retained:

	If you are not the intended addressee (or authorized to receive
	for the addressee). be aware that any disclosure, copying,
	distribution or use of this e-mail or any attachment is
	prohibited.

It is clear, from the lack of capitalization of the word "be" and the
fact that the preceding text is only a sentence fragment, that the
period following the close-parenthesis was meant to be a comma.
Therefore this prohibition applies only to people who are not meant to
be reading an open mailing list -- and there are no such people.

This means that victor did not violate any policies.

Alan Stern