Re: Tegra3 ehci_suspend and ehci_resume

On 12/10/2012 11:08 PM, Greg KH wrote:
On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 10:42:50PM +0100, Timur wrote:
Hi. I created a replacement kernel for the Nexus 7. Together with a
USB Y-cable, this mod enables charging the N7, while running the
device in USB host mode. People are using this to operate N7 + USB
DAC devices in their cars and other things. It's a fun project.

I'm currently trying to solve an issue with slave devices not being
detectable after a sudden power loss. Slave devices will restart,
when external power comes back, but will be "not accepting address
xx, error -71". Would it make sense to try to back port some code
from a newer versions of ehci-hcd.c, including ehci_suspend() and
ehci_resume(), not existing in the 3.1.10 kernel of the N7?
Why not just try a newer kernel and see if that works properly for you
or not?  There's nothing forcing the N7 to use the 3.1 kernel, is there?

greg k-h
N7 is not using a vanilla kernel. It is one thing to apply modifications to the given code base. It would be far more difficult (I think) to replace the kernel as a whole. Maybe I should back port just as little code as possible? Or maybe I should try to back port some full building blocks? Where to make the cut? I also wonder how to make the system take advantage of ehci_suspend() and ehci_resume(), both marked as "__maybe_unused". Who is calling these methods?

Timur